|Season 6, Episode 6|
|Air date||May 21, 2017|
|Written by||Steve Hely|
|Directed by||Becky Martin|
|“||What’s Qatari for ‘morning-after pill?’ It’s probably a stoning, which would also do the trick.||”|
Selina visits Qatar. In D.C., Jonah gets a dinner invite. Dan receives an unexpected visit from an HR rep. Catherine and Marjorie have big news.
Selina attends the funeral of Crown Prince Nasser bin Hamad al Gani in Doha, Qatar where she reconnects with Ambassador Al Jaffar. Catherine and Marjorie video call to announce they’re pregnant, but Selina is distracted by a photo in the paper of her smiling next to Sudanese warlord Colonel al-Saleh: ”He is a bomber and a photobomber.” The team searches for another photo op to draw focus from the headline.
Jonah holds court with other members of Congress; they brainstorm names to call their coalition and Jonah decides on “The Jeffersons.” Furlong asks Ben and Kent for Jonah’s support of an airport bill and Jonah says he won’t vote unless he gets an invitation to dinner at Furlong’s house. When Roger says Mrs. Furlong only invites married couples, Shawnee waltzes in and announces that she and Jonah are engaged.
At wit’s end, Dan complains to Stevie about Jane’s sexual harassment. Stevie brings in an HR representative who says his allegations could result in Jane’s immediate termination. Jane walks into the room and loses it.
Selina and team go to Juba, South Sudan to take a photo with Nyaring Ayun: an activist who opposed Colonel al-Saleh. They take photos and sit for tea, where Selina mentions the importance of toppling the patriarchy. When Ayun asks for a plan, Selina cannot come up with any specific answer. There’s a problem with Selina’s plane, and Jaffar sends his jet to retrieve her.
Back in Doha, Selina flirts with Jaffar and goes back to his palace. The next morning, she looks into mineral rights in Sudan at Jaffar’s prompting. Amy asks Selina if she’s moving too fast with Jaffar and Selina wonders if she can date a Muslim man.
Selina, Jaffar and President Lu from China meet on Jaffar’s yacht to discuss Sudan, and Selina asks for credit in freeing Tibet. After Lu agrees, Selina sees Montez on TV with Ayun and resolves to go back to Sudan to address women’s rights.
Jonah, Ben, Kent and their significant others attend dinner at Furlong’s house; Roger is cloying in front of his wife. Jonah asks for a better office and Furlong snaps as soon as his wife leaves the room. Furlong eventually capitulates, and Jonah moves into his new office, identical to the old one, on the second floor.
Upon her return from Sudan, Selina speaks at the Arab Conference on Human Rights in Qatar. Right before she goes on stage, Jaffar notifies her al-Saleh is there and she should refrain from saying anything negative if she wants credit for Tibet. Selina delivers a confounding speech, which refuses to denounce al-Saleh. Afterwards, Jaffar tells Selina al-Saleh pulled the deal because she could have been more enthusiastic. He also admits he can’t be with her because she’s white.
On air, Jane awkwardly resigns from CBS This Morning.
Main cast Edit
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Selina Meyer
- Anna Chlumsky as Amy Brookheimer
- Tony Hale as Gary Walsh
- Reid Scott as Dan Egan
- Matt Walsh as Mike McLintock
- Timothy Simons as Jonah Ryan
- Kevin Dunn as Ben Cafferty
- Gary Cole as Kent Davison
- Sam Richardson as Richard Splett
- Sarah Sutherland as Catherine Meyer
- Clea DuVall as Marjorie Palmiotti
Guest cast Edit
- Usman Ally as Mohammed Al Jaffar
- Dan Bakkedahl as Roger Furlong
- Margaret Colin as Jane McCabe
- Nelson Franklin as Will
- Mary Holland as Shawnee Tanz
- Tzi Ma as Lu Chi-Jang
- Andrea Savage as Laura Montez
-This was the most expensive episode of Season 6 to produce.
-Filmed January 9 - 17, 2017.
If you look closely at the newspaper Selina holds at the beginning of the episode, it somewhat looks like it is dated WEDNESDAY JUNE 6. Considering June 6, 2018, is a Wednesday, it's likely this is what it says. The Timeline also works because it would mean Furlong's Paella dinner, which in Library was mentioned to take place on Saturdays, would take place on Saturday, June 9, 2018. This would also fit, considering it is mentioned that Montez had just attended the G7 summit (which, in real life, was held from June 8-9, 2018).
The episode timeline would look like this:
- Tuesday, June 5, 2018: Selina attends the Qatari funeral.
- Wednesday, June 6, 2018: Selina has Amy set up the meeting with Nyaring.
- Thursday, June 7, 2018: Selina visits Juba, South Sudan. Her plane breaks down and has dinner with Jaffar that night.
- Friday, June 8, 2018: Selina has Amy schedule a meeting with the Chinese.
- Saturday, June 9, 2018: Selina meets with President Lu on a yacht; Roger Furlong's Paella dinner.
- Sunday, June 10, 2018: Selina returns to Juba to one-up Montez's visit.
- Monday, June 11, 2018: Selina speaks at the human rights conference.